Serving the public with the newest broadcasting technology
Engineering Administration Department
Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK)
- Please tell us about your current job (responsibilities, challenges, rewards, etc.).
- I am involved in developing the networks that connects NHK's 54 broadcasting stations around Japan. In addition to video and audio, I am also in charge of the various other information networks nationwide, designing and developing them as digitalization and high-definition broadcasting progress. As breaks in broadcasting are unacceptable, high network reliability is paramount. Disaster prevention and mitigation reports are also a key mission at NHK. At a time of an earthquake, tsunami, or typhoon, we must deliver information rapidly and reliably, which can be a bit stressful.
- How is the knowledge and experience gained at Tokyo Tech being utilized in your current position?
- During my laboratory days, I participated in study sessions where we learned about network technology through presentations and discussions. The knowledge I picked up in those sessions forms the basis for my work today. Great importance was placed on carrying out discussions logically, and my professors and senior lab mates helped me improve the quality of my research. The abilities I developed back then are useful when I discuss issues with colleagues in other departments or companies. As a student, I was also a member of the Mountaineering Club. We planned excursions and often spent two weeks living in tents. The planning and teamwork skills I learned in the outdoors are still very useful.
- What are your future goals?
- I want to continue contributing to broadcasting technology development. With broadcasting and communications merging, and high quality imagery constantly evolving, I keep my eyes and ears peeled for new technology which I can potentially develop and use in the future. Also, I am the mother of two boys. If I am able to plant in them seeds of interest which might later develop into careers for them, then all the better.
- Please write a message to students aiming for Tokyo Tech.
- Tokyo Tech has incredible professors who teach at the forefront of science and technology, and students who work very had to learn from the best. In such an environment, everyone undoubtedly gains plenty of knowledge and grows as a human being. I encourage all of you to join Tokyo Tech, a place where your seeds of interest are allowed to grow into branches of true knowledge and ability.
Yukiyo Takasago (from Tokyo)
- Employed by Japan Broadcasting Corporation
- Master of Engineering, Department of Communications and Integrated Systems, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering, Department of Computer Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Enrolled in 5th Academic Group, Tokyo Institute of Technology
The content of this article was accurate at the time of the interview.