Labs spotlight #33 - Maruyama Laboratory -
Biomedical materials design to engineer biomolecules, cells, and tissues
The Department has a variety of laboratories for Life Science and Technology, in which cutting-edge innovative research is being undertaken not only in basic science and engineering but also in the areas of medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, and multidisciplinary sciences.
This "Spotlight" series features a laboratory from the Department and introduces you to the laboratory's research projects and outcomes. This time we focus on Maruyama Laboratory.
||PhD 1988, Tokyo Institute of Technology
|Areas of Research
||Biofunctional materials, Biomaterials, Smart polymers. Nanobioscience
||Graft copolymers, Polyelectolytes, Peptide, DNA, Lipid bilayer, Drug delivery systems, Biosensing.
||Maruyama Laboratory (Japanese)
Biomaterials, which function in contact with living system and its components, are indispensable for development and improvement of diagnostic, therapeutic and medicinal technologies.Several properties are required for biomaterials. We have studied interactions between artificial materials and biological components to create biomaterials with integrated functions and biocompatibility. Biomaterials that help understandings of biomolecular functions are also involved in our interests.
- 1.Biomaterials design for nucleic acid and peptide nanotechnology
- 2.Design and evaluation of gene/drug carrier systems
- 3.Design of smart polymers for biomolecular, cellular and tissue engineering
-  N. Shimada, M. Saito, S. Shukuri, S. Kuroyanagi, T. Kuboki, S. Kidoaki, T. Nagai, and A. Maruyama, Reversible Monolayer/Spheroid Cell Culture Switching by UCST-Type Thermoresponsive Ureido Polymers, ACS Appl. Mater. Inter. 8, 31524-31529. (2016)
-  K. Saito, N. Shimada, A. Maruyama, Cooperative enhancement of deoxyribozyme activity by chemical modification and added cationic copolymer, Sci. Tech. Adv. Mater. 17,437-442.(2016)
-  N. Shimada, H. Kinoshita, S. Tokunaga, T. Umegae, N. Kume, W. Sakamoto, A. Maruyama, Inter-polyelectrolyte nano-assembly induces folding and activation of functional peptides, J. Control. Release, 218, 45-52 (2015)
-  J. Gao, N. Shimada, A. Maruyama, Enhancement of deoxyribozyme activity by cationic copolymers, Biomater. Sci., 3, 308-316 (2015)
-  N. Shimada, S. Kidoaki, A. Maruyama, Smart hydrogels exhibiting UCST-type volume changes under physiologically relevant conditions, RSC Advances, 4, 52346-52348 (2014)
-  A. Maruyama, N. Sonda, K. Yamasaki, M. Hirano, S. Kidoaki, N. Shimada, M. Maeshiro, M. Miyazaki, Cationic Comb-Type Copolymer Excludes Intercalating Dye from DNA Without Inducing DNA Condensation. Curr. Nanosci., 10, 185-188 (2014)
-  N. Shimada, M. Nakayama, A. Kano, A. Maruyama,Design of UCST Polymers for Chilling Capture of Proteins, Biomacromolecules, 14 , 1452-1457 (2013)
-  J. Du, L. Wu, N. Shimada, A. Kano, A. Maruyama, Polyelectrolyte-Assisted Transconformation of Stem-loop DNA, Chem. Commun., 49, 475-477 (2013)
-  H. Asanuma, T. Osawa, H. Kashida, T. Fujii, X. Liang, K. Niwa, Y.Yoshida, N. Shimada, A. Maruyama, A polycation-chaperoned in-stem molecular beacon system, Chem. Commun., 48, 1760 -1762, (2012)
-  R. Moriyama, N. Shimada, A. Kano, A. Maruyama, The Role of Cationic Comb-type Copolymers in Chaperoning DNA Annealing. Biomaterials, 32, 7671-7676 (2011)
-  N. Shimada, H. Ino, K. Maie, M. Nakayama, A. Kano, A. Maruyama, Ureido-Derivatized Polymers Based on Both Poly(allylurea) and Poly(L-citrulline) Exhibit UCST-Type Phase Transition Behavior under Physiologically Relevant Conditions. Biomacromolecules, 10, 3418-3422 (2011)
-  N. Shimada , M. Yamamoto, A.Kano , and A. Maruyama, Cationic Graft Copolymer as a DNA B-Z Transition Inducer: Effect of Copolymer Structure. Biomacromolecules, 11, 11, 3043-3048 (2010)
-  S. Mochizuki, A. Kano, N. Shimada, A. Maruyama, Uptake of enzymatically-digested hyaluronan by endothelial liver cells in vivo and in vitro. J. Biomater. Sci. Polymer Edn., 20, 83-97 (2009)
-  N. Shimada, A. Kano and A. Maruyama, B-Z DNA Transition Triggered by a Cationic Comb-Type Copolymer. Adv. Funct. Mater., 19, 3590-3595 (2009)
-  S. W. Choi, A. Kano and A. Maruyama, Activation of DNA strand exchange by cationic comb-type copolymers: effect of cationic moieties of the copolymers. Nucleic Acids Res., 36, 342-351 (2008)
-  A. Maruyama, L. Wu, N. Shimada and A. Kano, Kinetic Effect of Cationic Comb-type Copolymers on DNA Hybridization, Adv. Mater. Res., 47-50, 1355-1358 (2008)
-  N. Makita, S. W. Choi, A. Kano, A. Yamayoshi, T. Akaike, A. Maruyama, Effect of cationic copolymer on quadruplex folding of human telomeric DNA, Nucleosides, Nucleotides Nucleic Acids, 26, 1115-1119 (2007)
-  Y. Sato, R. Moriyama, S. W. Choi, A. Kano, A. Maruyama, Spectroscopic investigation of cationic comb-type copolymers/DNA interaction: interpolyelectrolyte complex enhancement synchronized with DNA hybridization. Langmuir, 23, 65-69 (2007).
-  T. Ooya, H. S. Choi, A. Yamashita, N. Yui, Y. Sugaya, A. Kano, A. Maruyama, H. Akita, K. Kogure, H. Harashima, Biocleavable polyrotaxane-plasmid DNA polyplex for enhanced gene delivery, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 128, 3852-3853 (2006).
-  Y. Sato, Y. Kobayashi, T. Kamiya, H. Watanabe, T. Akaike, K. Yoshikawa, A. Maruyama, The effect of backbone structure on polycation comb-type copolymer/DNA interactions and the molecular assembly, Biomaterials, 26, 703-11 (2005).
-  W. J. Kim, Yuichi Sato, Toshihiro Akaike, Atsushi Maruyama, Cationic comb-type copolymers for DNA analysis, Nature Mater., 2, 815-820 (2003)
-  W. J. Kim, T. Akaike, A. Maruyama, DNA strand exchange stimulated by spontaneous complex formation with cationic comb-type copolymer, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 124, 12676-12677 (2002).
-  S. Asayama, T. Akaike, A. Maruyama, Bi-phaseic polycation for the DNA carrier responding to endosomal pH, Colloids Surf. B., 22, 183-191 (2001).
-  A. Ferdous, T. Akaike, A. Maruyama, Mechanism of intermolecular purine-purine-pyrimidine triple helix stabilization by comb-type polylysine graft copolymer at physiologic potassium concentration, Bioconjugate Chem., 11, 520-526 (2000).
-  A. Maruyama, H. Watanabe, A. Ferdous, M. Katoh, T. Ishihara, T. Akaike, Characterization of interpolyelectrolyte complexs between double-stranded DNA and polylysine comb-type copolymers having hydrophilic side chains, Bioconjugate Chem., 9, 292-299 (1998)
*Find more about the lab and the latest activities at the lab site (Japanese).